2013 New Year Resolutions and Challenges
- Live on £4,000 for the year (2013 will be year 7 for this and I'm confident that it can still be done.)
- Grocery Challenge - included within the above total - £1/person/day on food
- Frugaleur Challenge - Establish a new micro-business
- Get fitter, not fatter - always trying!
- Hand make gifts for friends and family
- Save all loose change (Sealed pot challenge now being run by SFT)
- Eco-renovate the house without incurring any debt - this is a 5-year challenge, started in 2011
- EEK - Everything Else Kitty - all other spending must be cost or cash neutral
- Do without a car - cycle, walk or lift share for the full year
- Tick off a few more items from the 'to do before 50' list. (Budget Bucket List)
Septimus Frugalus in September 2013
Octavius Frugalus in October 2013
Novus Frugalus in November 2013
Decius Frugalus in December 2013
The Frugaleur Challenge has been running for several years and is about starting with a minimum amount of investment and developing it into a profitable micro-business by way of crafting, working from home or creating a new cottage industry. This challenge developed over the years from our 1998/9 'shop-share' project for homeworkers.
The 'EEK' challenge has been running for several years now and entails collecting cashback, points, vouchers, discounts and extra income from decluttering, selling on eBid or eBay, selling surplus eggs, interest on savings (this part is a bit of a joke nowadays), winnings and spending any gift money wisely. It also represents the fact that the 'Everything Else Kitty' needs to literally pay for everything else not included in the annual challenge budget of £4,000. (EEK used to include the credit card shuffle, which later became known as 'stoozing', but we no longer entertain that as it's simply not worth the effort.)
Each of the challenges was listed in the old Frugaldom forums, where you could find daily updates from several of our challengers. Now, in 2014, we have brand new forums at www.frugalforums.co.uk and have just recently introduced our very own chat room for forum members.
We used to operate a chat room about 15 years ago, so this is a return to the tried and tested means of instant communication where Frugaldom isn't about reading what I do, it is about sharing our combined life experiences as money saving, frugal living trainees, graduates and experts.
Have fun in Frugaldom. :)