It's now been five months since we moved into our 'fixy-up' and we've reached a point where a little bit more work can be done in order to make the place completely wind and watertight. We were also blessed with a pleasant surprise, when we discovered that the kitchen ceiling was nowhere near as bad as we had been expecting to find it.
Owing to the fire hazard that is polystyrene, all the tiles were ripped from throughout the entire house before even moving in, but the chipboard had to remain in place. To be honest, I was dreading it all coming down in case it revealed rotten timbers!
This is what got ripped out today.
Imagine if any of that lot had come down on someone's head? Eek! It's almost completely dried out so, assuming we have no rain overnight, this will get chopped up as firewood and stored for using over winter. It should have been done this afternoon, but someone stole all the daylight hours from beneath our very noses!
Our street is a very quiet street. It's normal for it to be quiet, except for the minute we decide to start moving anything out there! As luck would have it, the freight lorry arrived to collect several boxes of books that were being shipped out, at the exact same time as the log delivery arrived. And this was just as 'Ratty' was trying to get all his tools packed into the back of his car after finishing the kitchen work. We had a queue of vehicles lining the tiny street waiting to get to our door!
It didn't take too long, but then there was the barrowing of it all around to the back of the house before stacking it.
It took only about an hour to shift everything to where it is supposed to be but, suffice to say, lunch turned out to be a very, very late affair. Thank goodness for homemade pea and ham soup and some freshly baked bread.
Never mind, at least we are quite cosy with the fire blazing, the water heating and the radiators all being warmed by the same logs. I can't wait to get the new log burner, but that's a whole different challenge for 2012.
Our log store has now been refilled and there's a spare pile by the back door, as well as those now stacked either side of the fireplace, so this should keep us going for the remainder of the year - I hope!
The 2011 Frugaldom Challenge budget of £4,000 has now been reduced to £687.36
The 'Everything Else Kitty' is in deficit by £609.71 with no prospect of egg sales since the 'wee minky bandit' incident. (Not bad considering that includes the house move and emergency repairs.)
There's enough vouchers, points and spare change in the Christmas kitty to cover gift buying this year.
The fixy-up (bought and paid for) is well on its way to becoming our 'forever' home.
The next challenge is to cover the costs of insulating and replacing the kitchen & back hallway ceilings, upgrading the electrics in that part of the house, replacing the door and window 'like for like' (which involves having a wooden door made to measure) and then making the most of all that until next year. That's when the real work will begin - doing repairs that others will actually be able to see, like new log burner heating system, interior plasterboard walls, ceilings and proper floors.
Now I need to find the best deal on sheeps' wool insulation, a letter box and a matching set of door handles. Topcashback, here I come! :)