TV Licence £145
Clothing & footwear £35
A few major changes had occured:
1) The grocery budget was slashed by about 25% to reflect LETS trading, bulk buying, bartering and home growing as much as possible.
2) Electricity had to be increased to reflect the Arctic conditions.
3) The cost of keeping the hens was incorporated. Estimated annual costs of feeding & bedding for the hens and ducks is about double the above, but I hoped to recoup half the costs this year and have it fully self-funding by 2011
4) Insurances include a tax free savings bond with life assurance built into it. I reckoned it was OK to have this as a funeral-type policy
5) Gifts budget got slashed until the Frugaldom project generated more cyberdosh.
Bread, cakes, eggs, jams, pickles, preserves, gifts, greetings cards, wrappings and trappings were all listed as 'do not buy' items. I'd have loved to have included vegetables, but the garden just wasn't quite up to that yet.
A frugal cookathon produced 16 beef olives, a marmalade and treacle tart, the usual bread, a tray of lemon thin biscuits and a tray of ginger biscuits. I was beginning to think there was an extra person hiding in Frugaldom, as cakes and biscuits just seem to disappear! Sadly, it's more a case of my subconscious efforts at increasing my winter padding.
Fuel was getting low and by the 11th the log man still hadn't arrived. The snow was back, falling onto the icy lane, the meter was eating credit as the electric heaters stayed on continually and the guinea pig had taken not well. Poor, 'John Galloway', he went downhill so quickly and, sadly, passed away that night. Digging his little grave was a hard task, but he's now free to wander Guinea Pig heaven safe in the knowledge that his grave is protected by a homemade wormery, recycled from a wooden blanket box.
When fridge inventory day arrived, I went foraging to the depths of refrigeration to see what was lurking in the furthest recesses. The expedition produced the following report:
milk x 1L
white wine (1/4 bottle approx)
sweet chilli sauce
hot chilli sauce
bramble and apple jelly
block of Brie
a savoy cabbage
bag of onions