Friday 12 April 2024

Words and Herbs

Hello friends and followers of the frugal ways. I hope you are well and that life is treating you fairly during these uncertain times. The cost of living is still escalating but I think it's fair to say that it always will, unless we have a complete change of direction, habits and lifestyle.

One big question that is often asked is, 'Where do I start?' This daunting conundrum csn become completely overwhelming. It can lead to confusion, procrastination, frustration, despair, inaction and even complete exhaustion. My best answer is simply to start by writing one word. It can be any word to describe what you want to change, make, do or achieve. What is your word? My word is a combination of two words - FRUGAL and FREEDOM. Therein lie the origins of what has become my life's work -  FRUGALDOM. Words can mean so much to so many and there is no rule book stating that you cannot mix and match to come up with something that fits the bill, no pun intended. 😊
Every day is a new day and a new start. April, in our little corner of southwest Scotland, is looking like rhubarb month. I have fabulous thoughts of growing all my own fruit, vegetables and herbs, rearing chickens and ducks, making, mending, bartering, sharing, living sustainably... I do my best. I fail often. I start again. Hope and despair go hand in hand but achievements are always made - we just need to step back and look for them. Make up your own word for what you are doing.
HERBERY - My efforts to achieve a HERB NURSERY. Yes, rhubarb is a herb. It's a medicinal herb known in Chinese medicine. The roots and tuber are used for some things, the stalks and even the leaves are used for others. Herbal medicine is not my subject  so I won't go into that but as a frugal living officianado, rhubarb means crumbles, jam and even a crunchy snack when, dare I say it, dipped in sugar. It is interesting to note that as the rhubarb grows, so does the nearby Sweet Cicely. 
I wonder if there is a connection to be made there, seeing as nature has presented these two herbs simultaneously? It may just be coincidence but these are the things we need to look out for in life. With coincidence can come opportunity but we need to recognise that when it appears. 
This herbery was created during lockdown with most of the seeds and plants gifted and appreciated. Emily brought agrimony, Lisa sent seeds, I say and Eva brought mugwort. All have had time to develop, thanks to the help of visitors and volunteers. Hilary (Lily) brought a load of strawberry runners and planted them. (Strawberries are herbs.) Janice brought several plants along, including a type of lungwort, which now has  pretty pink flowers. There is also a bed of assorted sedums, planted with the thought in my head that, one day, we could have a sedum roof. The roof has never materialised but do you know what? The sedums are growing every year, ready for thinning out and reporting to grow someone in the future a sedum roof.

Never give up. If things get you down then study life at ground level. Find your passion and start from there.
Make a plan in small increments - today I plan to plant a sprouted potato. If I plant more than one, I have excelled my own expectations. If I plant none, the day is as a week and it ain't over yet. 😆  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. All comments are moderated to help prevent system abuse by spammers, time-wasters and chancers, so your comment will not appear until it has been manually accepted for publishing. This will be done as soon as possible - I check for updates regularly. We are on GMT - London times.