Friday 12 February 2010

Cake and cooking conundrums!

How bad are we? How unfrugal are we? Not only did we polish off the last of the homemade loaf at lunchtime with a tin of beans between 2 of us, we then proceeded to scoff a carton of yoghurt each. A couple of hours later, we still found space for a mid afternoon snack! It's ridiculous!

I know someone who'll laugh when I say what that snack was but the last of the fruit loaf needed using up and pouring custard over it seemed like a bright idea. In my defence, it was frugal cheap custard of the 7p per packet variety, but it was still a non-essential portion of food consumed for no real reason other than to use up the last of some fruit cake.

I'm now sitting here wondering to myself if I should go and bake some fruit loaves and make the most of the oven being on to make a couple of trays of coconut macaroons just so I can use up the egg whites that were saved from lemon curd making for Tuesday's LETS trading. That way, I'd be more inclined to mix up some pastry and get a pie in the oven for dinner. But then I may have enough meat (it's pheasant) to pad it out with gravy and mixed vegetables to make 2 pies! As you'll have guessed, this is not condusive to emptying the freezer, as whatever I decide to do now or later, it'll result in at least 3 fruit loaves and a game pie surplus to immediate requirement and needing stored in the freezer. No point costing it all out for the Frugaldom grocery budget because I swapped 3 jars of lemon curd for 4 pheasants, the hens laid the eggs for making the lemon curd and the ducks laid the eggs for the cake making, so it all gets a bit confusing and drives me quackers! LOL Welcome to my wacky world.

http://www.frugaldom.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. Hi I like the sound of your wacky world! LOL

    I'm just newly dipping my toes into the frugal lifestyle but I'm enjoying it so far! LOL
    (((hugs)))
    maz
    http://mazcarer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. All comments are moderated to help prevent system abuse by spammers, time-wasters and chancers, so your comment will not appear until it has been manually accepted for publishing. This will be done as soon as possible - I check for updates regularly. We are on GMT - London times.